Monday, July 19, 2010

In it for the long haul

Having now recovered from the long trip to Morocco for the IWC meeting and had plenty of time to reflect on the outcomes it is clear, now more than ever, that the fight to protect whales is one we need to never give up on – we need to be in it for the long haul.

The 2010 IWC meeting was one of the most crucial in recent history. Thanks to everyone who gave their voice, we were able to send a strong message to all Governments present that Australians are opposed to whaling. We played our part in helping keep the moratorium on commercial whaling - a major milestone on our journey.

Give Whales a Voice showed that Australians expected the Government to be the leading voice for the protection of whales. And we weren’t disappointed. The Government stood strong against the proposal to overturn the moratorium and showcased its non-lethal research program to understand whales without killing them. This was another milestone.

But clearly we’re still a long way from achieving an end to the cruelty of whaling. And over the coming months we’ll need to reach more milestones to keep whale welfare on the agenda.

This is a fight we need to continue and we need your support for the long haul. So please help us spread the word, to record as many words as possible in support of an end to whaling.

And if you can, try to experience the beauty of these creatures for yourself over the next few months, as they travel past our coastline on a journey of their own.


Emily Reeves, WSPA

You can help to Give Whales A Voice today! Together anything is possible.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

If a corporation can be considered a person, then I recommend that a whale which is born in Australian waters be given Australian citizenship. That would throw a cat amongst the Japanese whaling pidgeons.

I am more than willing to adopt a whale in Australian waters thereby giving it Australian Citizenship.

Unknown said...

I am curios. Are you against the practice of whaling, or are you against killing whales - There is a huge difference, with one result. The death of the whale. While I saw Star Trek 4 (the voyage home), I can honestly say that for the tribes and villages who use whales for their lively hood, should not have to worry about doing this. Would you starve a village for the safety of a whale? What would make your opinion, and it is that, an opinion, better than theirs. They could probably trace their heritage back farther than any of us. Are you wearing any leather items, do the factories that produce your clothes produce leather items even if you don't buy them? I am honestly trying to find out just where you stand. Are you a PETA-ITE, who think that humans are less than equals with animals? What about American Natives in North America, some of them believe that the plants and trees of the earth (ALL OF THEM) have either unique or reincarnated spirits, and when you kill them, you are killing the spirit. So My question that I would ask once more (not to be arrogant, but because you won't have to read through my muck once again :) ), Do you believe in the killing of whales as long as it is done in the least painful process? I do eat red meat, and yes I am a Yankee, and I believe in the commercialization of animal products, however, I am against the WASTE associated with the industry, and as I find out, I do make the conscious choice to use a more 'humane' way of using all of the animal (Just like some Eskimo tribes who depend upon the whale for their very existence.) Although I don't always keep my eyes peeled for the best companies, when I do see it, my patronage stops, and I spread it via word-of-mouth. I hope that you take this as someone who is trying to understand the source, direction, and 'hopeful result' of your passionate objections.
Thank you!

Post a Comment